Friday, June 12, 2020

An Open Letter to my Colleagues



An Open Letter to my Colleagues


Loren Nunley, MD, MBA - Infectious Diseases


I am a black man.


Ten days after my sixteenth birthday I caused a car accident (with minimal damage and no injuries). As I made a sharp turn in the pouring rain, I lost control hitting another vehicle stopped at a red light. Witnesses included two police officers. I was immediately ordered to step out of my vehicle. My white friend in the passenger seat was ordered to get out and stand across the street. Upon silently complying with the order, I was slammed against my own car. Moments later, still silent, I found my face, bloodied, on a curb with something heavy on the back of my neck. It was the knee of the police officer trapping my head against the curb as I struggled to breathe. I am fortunate. It wasn't for nine minutes. I was not murdered. But I will never forget the weight of that knee on my neck.


George Floyd isn't a stranger. You work with him. You know him.


I am George Floyd.


This does affect you. So how will you affect it?


There are many meaningful actions you can take and places you can contribute. I offer these links as a starting point, but you can also take it upon yourself to do further research on how you can help work towards positive change. 



From the floor of my heart, thank you for your kind consideration.


Be courageous,
Loren



Loren Nunley, MD MBA is a fellow in the Division of Infectious Diseases at MCW. This letter, originally shared with his colleagues, is reprinted here with his permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment