Friday, December 4, 2020

Words for these times, a pandemic

From the 12/4/2020 issue


Poetry



Words for these times, a pandemic 

Julie Arthur



Could I write words for these times?
Arrange letters in some fashion
To make the distance bridged.
Writing is a powerful weapon, I am humanity’s soldier,
Words are an offering, a salve.


But nothing I write can unbreak my son’s literal broken heart.
Nothing I can write can sooth the figuratively shattered hearts I see on the floor all around me.


We are masked these days whether
we wear them or not,
and those masks hide the smiles
as well as the frowns, the fear
-that doesn’t just emote from the eyes you know-
and the recognition that these days, which are not for always, are at least for now.


I am not young nor old
And feel I should have wisdom to not feel so breathlessly scared every moment.
Steadfastness escapes me at every turn, I’m left chasing it, just as all are chasing answers
As to how things will end, how we’ll all get out
Of this ok.


These times are not for always.


Something I repeat as a hymn or a hum underneath the terror of the currents of my day.
An oar on this lonely lifeboat to white knuckle
And never let go of.
I wish I could give so many things to others,
Hope, or inspiration, or kindnesses,
Things to pack for the singular journeys we seem to all be on together.


Perhaps these words, these letters, can be
The salve then, used when the wounds are fresh,
When it’s night and things overwhelm,
To read and reread and in the silence to know:
I am there with you too.




Julie Arthur is an Education Program Coordinator II at MCW. “I have worked for MCW for almost 12 years, and have been writing poetry and fiction since first grade! I believe as much as medicine heals, words do too.”



No comments:

Post a Comment