Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Recruitment Season 2021: It’ll all be Worth it!

 From the 3/19/2021 newsletter


Perspective/Opinion


Recruitment Season 2021: It’ll all be Worth it!


Camille B. Garrison MD


Dr. Garrison describes how the Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Family Medicine residency program adapted to the need for virtual interviews as they recruited their next cohort of residents, relying on social media, entertaining videos, and human interaction …





I had all the right people in place. From the perfect faculty leading the recruitment committee, the most enthusiastic residents set to attend our much-anticipated summer and fall recruitment fairs, the administrative team set with our new interview schedule, and an opportunity to pilot our new ranking system. I remember the heavy feeling of desperation that came over us when we heard that recruitment season and interviews would be transitioning to all things virtual. But once we got over the initial shock of what this would mean for our program, our team became energized and got to work. 

It was refreshing to have residents, faculty and administrative staff who were undaunted by the unknown, as COVID-19 likely prepared us for this moment too. We only had four months to prepare as our first recruitment event would take place in July, so we started to brainstorm which issues to tackle first: website edits, videos, social media and interviewing platforms, recruitment fair participation, visiting students, audition rotations, and finances. Looking back, this was a pretty significant list of issues, but all of the planning and effort that went into each of these areas has truly proven fruitful even without knowing the results of this year’s Match and, for that, I’m grateful.

As Program Director, I know that we have awesome faculty who teach Family Medicine excellently. I also know that we serve an amazing, underserved community and that we meet the community’s needs through clinical care and resident education. We also have a strong reputation of providing high quality care to our patients and their families. I felt like those qualities would not be that hard to convey to potential applicants in virtual format, even after all that the pandemic had brought to us. But the one thing that I was worried about not being able to convey adequately was the sense of family that people feel when they are at our program. 

When I was a medical student, I decided on Family Medicine after I rotated with our program in my fourth year. I remember sitting in rounds one day thinking, I could work with these people! It was the people who helped me see my calling in Family Medicine. It was the people who served as perfect role models for the type of physician I wanted to be. For me, the people included residents, faculty, clinic staff, administrative staff and the patients;  they are “the thing” that makes the program what it is and I wanted to let applicants know this before the interview day. Our goal was to effectively get people to sense “that thing” that I felt when I first came into contact with our program years ago. 

So, we decided to do what we did best, which was to be ourselves as we introduced people to our family. From the quirky, “80s-inspired public service announcement style” clinic tour to the Instagram page created and maintained by select residents, highlighting our team members and their favorite things. Our social media platforms helped us introduce people to our patient population and frequently displayed our commitment to social justice in light of current events. I, along with several residents, spent a lot of time talking with potential applicants during recruitment fairs and scheduled WebX meetings thereafter. We worked closely with our sponsoring institution ensuring that we would have a more professional video to introduce applicants to our hospital wards and clinical faculty, and that our website would be attractive and more appealing than our competition. We worked hard! We banded together as good families do. We were innovative problem solvers and had fun doing it. 

I truly believe that, this year, we interviewed more candidates who were genuinely interested in our program and our offerings and who had already done their research on us. Many of them spoke of how much they appreciated the details we put into our website and were able to vocalize those key details about us during their interviews. It was also great to hear that many of them loved that quirky, 80s-inspired video. Many applicants visited our social media platforms and were able to see the diversity within our program and surrounding community. I believe that the type of candidates we interviewed really seemed to have similar passions and interests which aligned well with our mission and commitment to Family Medicine. 

Overall, my goal is to always recruit individuals who have “that thing” that I was first attracted to when I was a student rotating at our program so I look forward to seeing who will join our team this year. This truly was an exciting recruitment season and I can’t wait until Match Day!


Camille B. Garrison MD is an Associate Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at MCW and residency program director for the Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Family Medicine Program.


No comments:

Post a Comment