Friday, October 16, 2020

My Reflections on Professionalism - Cassie Ferguson, MD

 From the 10/16/2020 newsletter

Professionalism Perspective


My Reflections on Professionalism


Cassie Ferguson, MD – Winner, 2018 MCW Professionalism Enrichment Award



I have never been inspired by the word “professionalism,” certainly not by how it is typically interpreted. It calls to mind people in suits, confidently shaking hands across a long board room table. While in academic medicine we may describe it more heroically, I would argue that we assess professionalism in our students, trainees, and faculty in a similarly uninspired fashion: Did you attend lecture? Did you show up on time to clinic? Did you wear the “right” clothes? Did you finish your Epic notes?

Our professionalism might be judged by our behaviors, actions, attitudes, and in how closely we conform to an organization’s code of conduct, but I’ve always believed that these outward displays matter less than the intentions behind them. Those people in my life from whom I have learned the most about professionalism in medicine are those who acted altruistically; not out of a sense of duty or with a disregard for their own health or well-being, but rather out of a deeply felt connection and a true sense of belonging to their patients, colleagues, and community.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be required." 
- Luke 12:48 (New American Standard Bible)  

Growing up, I tried on a long list of potential professions. At some point in my life, I wanted to be a chef, a middle school teacher, a therapist, and a fashion designer. My parents never tried to talk me out of pursuing any of these; they did make it clear, however, that it was my responsibility to be the best at whatever I chose to do. I never understood this as a responsibility to the profession itself; I felt this – as I believe my parents intended me to – as a higher calling to serve humankind in a way that reflected everything I had been given in my life.

We value respect. We strive for excellence. We practice magnanimity." 
- MCW Professionalism Code 

That calling informs my purpose and intentions as a professional in medicine. My core commitment to respect dictates that I practice radical empathy; that is, I strive to acknowledge the suffering of others and also to be “intentionally critical and actionable with regard to the ways [I] play a role in the pain they are experiencing” (Rachel Elizabeth Cargle). My commitment to excellence is grounded in love for my patients, colleagues, and students and in the humility to admit that while the biases I have that impact my interactions with others may not be my fault, they are absolutely my responsibility to mend (Sebene Selassie). My commitment to magnanimity is an outgrowth of the grace that has been extended to me by my family, mentors, advisors, colleagues, learners, and patients along my path to becoming a physician.


Cassie Ferguson, MD is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Emergency Medicine) at MCW. She leads the MCW M1 and M2 REACH curriculum focused on promoting well-being and community. She is the director of the Student Pillar of the Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education.

page2image3932116560 page2image3932116848page2image3932117136 page2image3932117424 page2image3932117776

No comments:

Post a Comment