Friday, October 23, 2020

Take 3: Comments from a Leader and Vascular Surgeon

 From the 10/23/2020 newsletter


Take 3: Comments from a Leader and Vascular Surgeon

 


With Julie Freischlag, MD - Former MCW faculty member and President-Elect of the American College of Surgeons




Julie A. Freischlag, MD, FACS, FRCSEd(Hon), DFSVS is a former MCW faculty member. Over the course of her career, she has broken new ground by serving as Chief of the Zablocki VAMC Surgical Service, Chief of Vascular Surgery at UCLA, Chair of Surgery at Johns Hopkins, Vice Chancellor for Human Health Sciences and Dean of the School of Medicine at UC Davis, and CEO of Wake Forest Baptist Health and Dean of Wake Forest School of Medicine in Wake Forest, NC.

 She serves on the Executive Board of the Association of Academic Health Centers, the Council of Deans of the Association for American Medical Colleges, the Aga Khan University Board of Trustees, the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Advisory Board, the University of Illinois Health Advisory Board, and the American Hospital Association Changing Workforce Task Force.  She is the 2020–2021 President-Elect of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and will be installed as ACS President in October 2021.

 Despite her administrative responsibilities, she still spends time in clinic and the OR, offering her expertise in the surgical management of thoracic outlet syndrome. She is also an attentive wife, mother, stepparent, and friend. She took time from her schedule to talk about mentoring, resiliency, and work-life balance.

She was interviewed by her medical school classmate and Editor-in-Chief of the Transformational Times, Bruce Campbell.

 

 

Question 1:  You have a reputation as an engaged and positive mentor for both men and women in medicine. How do you approach your role as a mentor for women who are contemplating demanding specialty careers?

 

I always tell students and residents to “Go to your passion.” As they rotate through services and specialties, I tell them to look to see if they are passionate about the disorders and diseases that the specialty treats. Mentors are great, but the student must look beyond whomever is their inspiration and see if the career holds the things that most love. Some specialties are particularly demanding of time and attention. The student should not be afraid of the demanding specialties, particularly if it is their ideal fit. If they do, they will spend years wondering if they made the right choice. 

 

Next, I tell them to “Be the best you can be, whatever it is.” I want them to understand that they will spend the early part of their careers doing whatever they can do to be great. I tell them, “Energy gets you competent. Then you get competent.” 

 

That said, I believe that COVID-19 might change how even the most demanding specialties are practiced. We are getting more accustomed to doing some of our work from home, to virtual visits, and to shared responsibilities. We might see less need for exhaustive daily rounds and face-to-face time. This type of change might be particularly valuable for dual-MD couples and people with shared childcare duties. 

 

In fact, I tell my surgical colleagues who over-engage to take it easy. If someone is sending emails at 3:00 in the morning, what does that tell trainees about our specialty? Does that sort of behavior tell trainees that we don’t trust them? Who would want to go into a field where that kind of intensity is normal?

 




Question 2: What are the opportunities for creating learning environments for students and residents that will propel learners successfully into their careers? How can we help students and trainees see the value of self-care over the long haul?


Back when I was in training, that seemed the furthest from anyone’s thoughts. Basically, it seemed liked we were engaged in the survival of the fittest and it was assumed that those of us who survived would do okay. That, clearly, was not the case.

 

We were all concentrating on self-care when COVID-19 hit. The virus has made us all rethink how we will model and practice self-care. We will all have to reacclimate to being in the same space again; our pre-clinical students were anxious about working with standardized patients and sitting together in classes.

 

I tell students that they need to “learn” their own space. I ask them, “What do you do that helps your relax, but is also easy?” For many, this includes, exercise, family time, hobbies you can continue over a lifetime, music, or writing.

 

Despite my schedule, I try to model self-care. I concentrate on what is important. I talk with them about how they find their “peaceful times.” We have an Office of Wellbeing that offers a weekly wellness newsletter, strategies, and activities. We organized virtual yoga and meditation sessions.

 

Another surgeon recently talked about how she wakes up each morning to spend a few minutes being thankful and happy about a few things. She lets go of things she can’t control. I tell trainees that it is futile to spend time beating down a door that is closed. Don’t even go in through the window. Find another door.

 

Finally, I cannot believe how quickly time has flown, but I have tried to pay attention to how I feel and to take care of myself. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. I try to help trainees see that we all are better when we work together.

 

 


Question 3: You have worked as a faculty member, department chair, dean, provost, and medical system CEO while maintaining your surgical career and raising a family. What do you tell others who are considering leadership trajectories about handling multiple roles?

 

Handling the challenges of work-life balance differs depending on your phase of life whether you are in a leadership role or not. I remember back at MCW, I was deep into a complex vascular case when my son’s childcare center called and said he was sick. I reached out to one of my partners who graciously came and finished the case. I told the family what had happened. When I stopped by to see the patient the next day, his first question was, “Is your son okay?” You see, people will understand if you tell them what is happening.

 

As he grew, I build my schedule around his whenever possible. I was a timer for his middle school basketball team. I went to his games. I took time out for family. As one of my MCW mentors told me, “Taking the kids to the swim party isn’t as good as staying to watch them.” I never forgot that.

 

I’m not saying it is easy. I actively managed my schedule. I took time to be organized.


I learned to say, “no.” It has been very rewarding and great fun.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment