Friday, June 18, 2021

Maintaining your Principles while Moving from One Institution to Another

 From the 6/18/2020 newsletter


Questions for John Raymond, MD



Maintaining your Principles while Moving from One Institution to Another


John R. Raymond, Sr., MD is the President and CEO of MCW. He was born and raised in northeastern Ohio and received his medical degree from The Ohio State University. He completed his residency training and nephrology fellowship at Duke University before joining Duke’s faculty. In 1996, he moved to the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), performing research, caring for patients, and serving as chief of nephrology at the Ralph H. Johnson VAMC, eventually rising to become Associate Provost for Research and, finally, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost. He was recruited in 2010 to became MCW’s sixth President.

Dr. Raymond has changed institutions during his celebrated career. He recently spoke to Transformational Times editor, Bruce Campbell, about the process of moving and starting fresh.


Transformational Times: What it was like for you to move from South Carolina to MCW?

Dr. Raymond: The move was exciting. Since I grew up in northeast Ohio, moving to Wisconsin felt a lot like coming home. I spent twenty-eight years in the Carolinas, first at Duke and then at MUSC. The people there are great, but the south has a different feel and culture. Moving back to a place that felt more like home was wonderful. It was also exciting to come into the new role here and build on the types of positions I had held before.

Like most people, taking on so many new responsibilities initially led to a sense of “Imposter Syndrome.” There were certainly some early challenges. Before long, though, I settled in and found a supportive, dedicated community.


Transformational Times: In what ways is MCW unique and/or different from other institutions where you have worked?

Dr. Raymond: I learned that people at MCW are unusually modest, and that the institution has many programs could be characterized as having “understated excellence.” Folks are doing wonderful work yet, throughout MCW, I have found that people don’t like to brag and often avoid personal accolades. There is a sense that we all want to do the right thing with a deep sense of collegiality and civility. This trait is culturally deeply engrained. People at other institutions seem to be more likely to seek the limelight.

This natural modesty and natural inclination toward teamwork and mutual support has been a good thing, especially as the institution and country have experienced unprecedented stressors and challenges in the past months. We have a natural proclivity to work together and foster each other’s success.

In addition, I find that the structure of our academic medical center requires me to spend much more of my time intentionally managing relationships than was needed at either Duke or MUSC. I have worked hard to invest in relationships across our partner institutions, sharing perspectives, and intentionally identifying and pursuing shared goals.


Transformational Times: What have you learned about effectively acclimating to a new institution?

Dr. Raymond: With each major move during my career, I tried to remember to be a good listener. I was always asking questions. I made certain that I tried to learn from my experiences every day.

I also worked to identify with my new institution and fully invest in my new opportunities. I found it was rarely helpful to start a sentence with, “But at Duke…” or “We always did this at MUSC.” Those approaches don’t help. I quickly identified with MCW as “us,” rather than as “you.” This allowed me to be curious, engaged, and ready for challenges.

My pathway to the presidency was not traditional since many people in positions like mine have previously been medical school deans or senior department chairs. My background was in running the research enterprise at MUSC and serving as a VA service chief. I think my experiences gave me valuable perspectives into what institutions can and should offer to its wide range of stakeholders and constituents both inside and outside the university.


Transformational Times: Talk about your work with the state’s government.  

I had significant experience working with local and state governments at MUSC where as provost, I also served as a key legislative liaison. Here is Wisconsin, we have had frequent and productive contact with the governor’s office (both with Governor Walker and Governor Evers), the State assembly, the State senate, municipal and county officials, and leaders from both political parties. It is fair to say that Wisconsin’s political landscape is highly partisan. Nevertheless, leaders of both parties have demonstrated strong commitments to MCW and our roles in protecting and improving the wellbeing of the state’s citizens. Our regional campuses and residency programs have also cultivated supporters in other parts of the state.

We are not shy about letting political leaders know what is important to us, but we take a long view perspective of issues. We work behind the scenes when needed. I know that approach can appear hesitant at times, but it has allowed us to be effective and serves us well in the long run.


Transformational Times: What core principles have you worked most diligently to retain with each move?

Dr. Raymond: With each move, I have worked to get to know the institution. For example, I was a reader for Richard Katschke’s new book, Knowledge Changing Life: A History of the Medical College of Wisconsin, 1893-​2019. Highly recommended.

With each move, I re-committed to sharpening my active listening skills and to remembering that no one ever comes to a new job with all the answers.

I realized that I represent the institution with what I say and do. My words and my values have meaning. I strive to be candid, truthful, and respectful. I want to be seen as a leader who has, and acts on, an internal core of integrity.

I have always tried to deliver maximum value to all our stakeholders, including our students, staff, and faculty, as well as our institutional and community partners.

Finally, I have worked hard to show that, as a health sciences university and community partner, we are here to serve others. We must remember we are our best selves when we serve our neighbors who are experiencing disproportionate burdens of disease and who are affected negatively by the social determinants of health. Our allocation of attention and resources must demonstrate that we know that it is critical to serve our communities with compassion.


Transformational Times: What has surprised you?

Dr. Raymond: The process of moving brings mostly positive things. I am always surprised by both the breadth and depth of individual and collective talent when I explore a new institution. I am surprised by the joy of making new personal connections. Those aspects are fun and rewarding.

Recently, I have also been surprised by how our friends and colleagues at MCW reflect the divides that our community and country are also experiencing. The profound, fractious and political divides we see on television also exist here. A diversity of thought and opinion is good for a university, but we must encourage exploration, growth, conversation, and reconciliation. These issues are deeply political for some, and there are many people who feel unwelcome and uncomfortable expressing their points of view. I hope that can change.


No comments:

Post a Comment