Friday, May 14, 2021

Why Suicide Prevention, Kerri?

 From the 5/14/2021 newsletter


Perspective/Opinion

 

Why Suicide Prevention, Kerri?

 

Kerri Corcoran writes about why she has found a calling working is suicide prevention and provides resources for those who are in crisis …

 


Hello, I’m Kerri, the Student Behavioral Health and Resource Navigator in the MCW Office of Student Services. I am active in the MCW Suicide Prevention Council and in the implementation of a pilot suicide prevention program at the Central Wisconsin Campus.

I have been reflecting on the idea of my “why” and, honestly, feeling a bit…underwhelmed. As a mental health professional, one might assume there is some existential reason behind my career choice and dedicated focus on promoting wellness. There must have been some major life event which led to this greater purpose of supporting those who find themselves feeling hopeless and in crisis. The truth is that I have been very fortunate to not have had a significant personal experience with suicide. As a licensed clinician working in community mental health over the past eight years, I have had experiences with assisting those in crisis and having clients die by suicide. Even when taking these difficult experiences into consideration, I found myself questioning my own ability to claim some part of this initiative. I know there are individuals serving alongside me in this council who have been through some of the biggest challenges this world has to offer. Is it possible to have Imposter Syndrome as a member of a council? Apparently so.

And then, it dawned on me. Maybe, this is the point? This is the purpose of developing a program which trains as many individuals at MCW as possible in heightening comfort around discussing suicide, in training student peer supports, and making sure everyone is aware of the mental health resources available. Suicide prevention is not the job of just those who struggle with mental health, or who have lost a loved one to suicide, or who have struggled with suicidal ideation in the past. Suicide prevention is the responsibility of everyone.

Everyone at MCW needs to be a piece of preventing suicide and showing those within our community that we care; really care. Common humanity is my “why.” Knowing that life is truly worth living, unconditionally, is my “why.” My love for my community is my “why.” 

And I think that might just be enough.

 

If you or someone you know is struggling, please reach out! See the linked decision trees to learn more about the available resources at your campus.

Milwaukee Campus “Assisting Student in Distress or Crisis”

Green Bay “Assisting Student in Distress or Crisis”

Central Wisconsin “Assisting Student in Distress or Crisis”

 

 

Kerri Corcoran is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor. As a Behavioral Health and Resource Navigator, she provides students with a safe and secure space to talk about challenges and work closely to implement solutions. She works in the Office of Student Services at MCW.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment